Thursday, December 26, 2013

Dear Santa

By Young Gunston Hall Visitors
Edited by Santa

When a large man in a red suit came to visit Gunston Hall for Plantation Christmas on December 7, and again on December 15 for Breakfast with St. Nick, the jolly old elf encouraged his youthful visitors to write a letter to Santa so that he could deliver them to his production team at North Pole Central.

Though the tradition of Father Christmas in England dates back to Henry VIII and Saint Nicholas to the 4th century, we doubt that the nine Mason children ever penned letters to Santa, requesting the latest 18th century playthings.

Santa Claus was mentioned by name for the first time in print in America in a 1773 issue of a New York newspaper*, but the Gunston Hall household probably did not subscribe to that periodical, published by a notorious Tory.

Nonetheless, Santa was here and the kids were here and, in December 2013, here is what some of them had to say (Initials are used instead of names to preserve the Santa/Client privilege).

In 250 years, these Christmas lists will be studied by historians as avidly as we study children’s possessions from ancient times like hoops, lead soldiers, cornhusk dolls, Tinkertoys, and Cabbage Patch kids.

Dear Santa,
I have been a good boy. I would like an iPad mini, white please! And also a pee wee size Dallas Cowboys football.
M

Thank you Santa Claus for our Elf.
Love,
K

I would like rebecca the american girl doll and the movie frozen.
S

I would like a whole reindeer set, sleigh, and Santa. Don’t forget Rudolph!
R

I would love if you brout by the Halo Mega Bloks Pelican set…the one with yellow Spartans and one green pilot.
A

I want unlimited data plan & for my mom to stop laughing at me while I’m writing this.
Love,
V

I would really like a rainbow loom and an iPad. I would also like a puppy or a cat.
Sincerely,
H

A space shuttle and farm tools.
T

No homework please.
J

No homework also.
Thanks

Hess truck
J

Doc McStuffin Kit
A

Santa Claus (artist's rendering)
I would like a loom, Julie’s real bed, Molly mini doll. I also would like a mikroskop. I have been very good.
N

Merry Christmas
Hope you stay warm in the North Pole! And I want Legos and comics.
C

I want my ears pierced again and I want an Ipad.
A

I want a mermaid and a flute
C

For Christmas, I would like Ariel, Aurora, & Cinderella Legos I’ve been a very good girl
O

A dog dirt bick bord games ifon ipad crosbowe
M

I want a toy horse, a doll, and thank you.
Love,
S

How are you? Is everyone at the North Pole happy? Please tell me how many elves are there? Do your reindeer have wings?
E

I would like my own pool and a big house!
M

All I would like is a good long book.
A

I want a castle.
R

Lego Ninjago
D

I want a new ipad 3 with a purple case with hearts.
A

I would like Lalaloopsy and Beanie Boos.
Thank you
R

I would like a blue bike for Christmas. I have been so good this year but my sister has been so bad she does not believe in Santa but I do. I hope you get my letter.
P

P.S. Please believe me that my sister has been a real big fat meanie.

Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is to be with ones I love.
P

May you all receive that gift. Happy holidays from all of us at Gunston Hall.

Notes:
* "Last Monday, the anniversary of St. Nicholas, otherwise called Santa Claus, was celebrated at Protestant Hall, at Mr. Waldron’s; where a great number of sons of the ancient saint the Sons of Saint Nicholas celebrated the day with great joy and festivity." Rivington’s Gazette (New York City), December 23, 1773.

No comments:

Post a Comment